Friday, July 25, 2014

Hospital Bag 101 - What worked and what didn't

I started getting my hospital bag ready at about 20 weeks and it's probably a good thing I was so darn organised because it was ready to go when I gave birth 6 weeks early! I spent weeks and weeks trawling Pinterest for blog posts about what to pack in a hospital bag and I am so grateful that there is so much amazing advice out there which really helped me with my preparation! 

Unfortunately, I didn't expect to be giving birth so quickly so I didn't get to take any nice photographs - just the ones that I snapped on my iPhone to share with my birth group on Facebook. Keep in mind that my bag was packed with a vaginal birth in mind and here in Australia I was told our public hospitals don't supply a thing.


Toiletry bag:
  • 2 packets of maternity pads with wings. This was enough for my whole 2 weeks in hospital! I hardly bled at all but I'm not sure whether that's because I had a cesarean.
  • 1 packet of maternity pads without wings (not pictured). I didn't realise they were wingless but I ended up packing them anyway. I used these to cushion my scar and stuffed them between my undies and skin.
  • Green bag of breast pads. After a week I had to get hubby to bring more - I used heaps because my boobs were crazy milk making machines lol
  • Hydrogel breast pads. I thought my boobs would ache from feeding but these are still sitting in my cupboard at home along with the Lansinoh.
  • Toilet paper and flushable toilet wipes (not pictured). Hospital toilet paper is gross so I had my own roll of nice stuff from home. I also purchased some of those flushable wipes for my sore bits but I ended up using them still because my lady bits swelled and looked like man bits!
  • Witch hazel. This stuff is supposed to be amazing after a vaginal delivery which I didn't have. Some ladies in my birth group suggested soaking maternity pads in the stuff and popping them in the freezer for some cooling relief after birth. I'll be keeping that in mind for baby #2!
  • Randin toiletries. Toothbrush, toothpaste, brushes, hair ties, roll on deodorant, detol hand sanitiser, shampoo and conditioner, lip balm. I wish I had packed soap (but didn't as I was told not to wash off babies scent) but luckily the hospital had it in dispensers in the showers.


 

For Mummy:
  • Black sports bra. I packed this to labour and birth in but didn't end up needing it for my ceaser.
  • 10 pairs of black underwear in a size larger than pre-pregnancy. These would have been great for a post-vaginal bleedy birth but I had so much post birth swelling that they cut into my thighs and belly. My mum went and got me some high waisted nana undies but my husband had to cut me out of them too! I ended up cutting them down the sides so they were really loose.
  • 4 maternity bras. I hadn't got around to buying these so mum had to go grab them after I gave birth. She got my normal size but went up a cup size.
  • 4 nursing singlets. These were amazing! Some days I would wear them without a bra and still do the same at home during the night.
  • 3 pairs nice PJ bottoms + 2 pairs of black trackies. I lived in my pjs while I was in hospital. I was going to go for all black but ended up packing some nice bright ones to keep me happy.
  • Black hoodie. I like to wear a hoodie to keep warm rather than long sleeve pjs so this was a must. It was also handy to wrap around Lilly during skin to skin in the nursery.
  • 2 pairs of socks. I live in them at home! I also had a pair of slippers that I wore down to the nursery each day.
  • Lollies and TimTams. Possibly THE most important part of my whole suitcase! These only lasted a few days before I had to send Hubby for more!
  • Book and pen. I packed these so I could write out our birth story while it was fresh in my head.
  • Going home outfit. I made sure to pack a really nice outfit to wear home so that I looked just as nice almost as nice as Lilly in our photos.

For Baby:

Lilly was born premature so the hospital actually supplied everything we needed for our stay in the Special Care Nursery. However, when Lilly was ready to come home, we got to stay 2 nights in the hospital together so I will share what I packed for her during this time.
  • Packet of newborn nappies. I actually borrowed enough from the nursery to keep us going but we probably went through about 20 eeeep.
  • Johnsons Wipes. We had planned to use Huggies but they used Johnsons in hospital so we kept using those seeing as though Lilly didn't have a reaction to them.
  • Nappy cream.We packed cream but didn't need it until we were well and truly home.
  • 5 singlets and under onesies. We really struggled to find clothes to fit Lilly so she ended up wearing a lot of 00000 under onesies from Kmart during her first few weeks. We found the 0000 singlets from Target fit her quite well too but the bonds ones were too long and gapey under the arms.
  • 5 outfits. Lilly mostly wore tights, tops and long sleeve onesies in those first few weeks because normal onesies were way too long on her.
  • 1 going home outfit. We managed to find a cute 00000 set from Target that fit Lilly perfectly so she wore that home from the hospital.
  • 2 beanies. Lilly lived in beanies for her first few weeks so we made sure we had some cute ones packed for her stay in hospital and her trip home. Unfortunately they were both too big so we kept using the ones that her great aunty knitted for her.
  • 4 pairs of socks. We packed socks but didn't need them because all of her outfits had built in feet.
  • 4 wraps and blankets. We packed a few different types from muslin, to cotton to flannelette and everything in between. It was freezing and the middle of Winter so we needed to make sure she was nice and warm.
  • Dummies. I packed some dummies but Lilly wouldn't take them so I may have 'borrowed' the ones we used in the nursery. 4 weeks on and she still prefers them over any brand that I've purchased.

Last Minute: 
  • My 7D camera and lenses. I wish I had of taken more photos in hospital but I was absolutely exhausted from a baby who spent what felt like the entire 48 hours crying and feeding. 
  • Make Up. I definitely wanted to look photo ready for the day we came home from hospital!
  • Phone charger. I would have been lost without my phone to contact people to come up for visits.
  • My pillow. Umm yep I ended up bringing my own only for me to forget it and leave it on my bed in the hospital. My lovely midwife ended up delivering it to me after we came home though! 
And that's what I had packed in my bags! I felt a bit silly having a whole big suitcase packed but everything we needed fit inside perfectly. Make sure you comment with anything I've forgotten that you have found useful!!

45 comments:

  1. Hasta yatağı satışı yapılan firmamızdan uygun fiyatları ile kiralama hizmeti de satın alabilirsiniz. İmalatçı firma avantajı ile ücretsiz teslimat ve kurulum hasta yataklari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    กระเป๋าคลัทช์

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is an outstanding post! “I’ll be back” (to read more of your content). Thanks for the nudge! gel boi tron sextoyuytin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purchase Made In The USA -  TRICO Ultra 13-160 High-Performance Beam Wiper Blade - 16" (Pack of 1): Blades - surgical tweezers for ingrown hair

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will do niche blog comment Just in 5$ .All comment relevant with your niche and UNIQUE .This off-page seo will increase your traffic and promote your business. 여유증수술

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do niche blog comment Just in 5$ .All comment relevant with your niche and UNIQUE .This off-page seo will increase your traffic and promote your business. บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and sex always go together. Make sure you have enough knowledge to get safe sex for both men and women. https://shopvochong24h.com/do-choi-tinh-duc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! dallas diamond and gold exchange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the world of www, there are countless blogs. But believe me, this blog has all the perfection that makes it unique in all. I will be back again and again. garoto de programa

      Delete
  9. In the world of www, there are countless blogs. But believe me, this blog has all the perfection that makes it unique in all. I will be back again and again. Maria Luya Hialeah Fl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. online pacs system

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    Corporate Headshot Photographer Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I gained new knowledge from well written content of this blog. It is showing some different kind of strategy to keep work better and improve with every new assignment. Gracefully written blog
    school pictures Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives. nike backpacks for men

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... sextoyuytin.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Cheap Moonstone Rings

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. best tweezer set

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. bokep

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. junior idol

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Having a table that is movable is additionally useful with regards to vacation. Sitting in front of the TV can get old when it's everything that you need to do. A bed side clinic table can give you a spot to play a game of cards, games, do fine art, work baffles, and so forth. hasta yatakları

    ReplyDelete
  21. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. product review

    ReplyDelete
  22. A case of this is simply the emergency clinic that promotes as "for youngsters" and coordinates a ton of their publicizing spending plan towards persuading the open that it is. Genuine Children's Hospitals are only that: for kids ONLY. They don't treat grown-ups.sterile instruments

    ReplyDelete
  23. You guys who think you want to screw around until you drop and that often tell us that we, the fairytale believers, want to copy a heterosexual family game, sorry boys, you are the ones copying the typical chauvinistic boys in suburbia, not we.
    Brian Holm lawyer california

    ReplyDelete
  24. Without the extraordinary state of the U cushion, another pad can be set between the knees to emulate the help of the U. u shaped body pillow

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. financial

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am Glad Very detailed post on wonderful ideas. It would be really loans for more info.
    Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Using these pillows, women can sleep on her sides comfortably instead of sleeping directly against their belly. maternity pillow

    ReplyDelete
  28. http://www.adorecherishlove.com/2014/07/hospital-bag-101-what-worked-and-what.html?showComment=1588695173760#c8635779390601153950

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. twin size mattress protector

    ReplyDelete
  30. Often times the gowns do not fit properly and are either way to big or way too small to allow for a woman's large belly. isolation gown

    ReplyDelete
  31. This will give a dense compact mass after consolidation. floor bed

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. https://satta-king.center/

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is typically not considered a good idea to put a fresh mattress on an old box spring. A producer box spring and mattress are projected to work together to give you the best product. In addition, many manufacturers will void their warranty if a mattress is not placed on the box spring that is designed to go with it. semi truck mattress

    ReplyDelete
  34. sattaking, india satta king, satta king indian, gali satta king, satta result 2020.gurgaon razz sattaking, satta king india.com, satta king india, india satta king, satta king sadabad Rainbow Muhabbet Kuşu

    ReplyDelete
  35. Minimalist yaşam felsefesi ve sadelik ana temasıyla tasarımı yapılan, sabit ya da mobil tarzda kullanılabilen, genellikle doğa ile iç içe bir yaşam sürmek isteyenlerin tercih ettiği; küçük boyutlu, işlevsel, gereksiz alanlar barındırmayan küçük ev modelidir.

    Tüm dünyada Tiny House olarak adlandırılan bu küçük evlerde, geleneksel bir evden beklediğiniz her şeyi bulabilirsiniz. Dört mevsim mutlulukla yaşayabileceğiniz gerekli konfora, teknolojiye ve estetiğe sahip olmasının yanında, size çok daha düşük maliyetlerle, minimal fakat elit bir yaşam sunar. Tiny House bir yaşam biçimidir.

    Evinizin kapısından girdiğinizi ve tek bir bakışta tüm yaşam alanınızı görebildiğinizi hayal edin. Önünüzde yatak odası, mini mutfak, banyo ve küçük bir oturma odası var. Her öğe belirli bir amaca göre yerleştirilmiş. Kullanmadığınız, ihtiyaç duymadığınız veya istemediğiniz hiçbir şeye sahip değilsiniz. Ayrıca evinizi tepeden tırnağa temizlemek bir saatten az sürmekte.

    Dünyanın birçok ülkesinde, minimalist, sade bir yaşam tarzını benimseyen insanlar, Tiny House adı verilen “bir evden küçük ama bir evden fazlası” bu süper kullanışlı evlerde yaşamayı seçiyor. Küçük ev hareketi, geçici bir heves olmaktan çıkıp dünyada bir trend haline geldi.

    Kaynak: tiny house

    ReplyDelete
  36. Satta King leak company offering you to play online. Get your number, wait for lucky draw, may today is turn to become a millioner. Aram se ghr baithe apne phone pe khelo disawar/Satta king. gurgaon razz satta king, satta king india, satta king india com, Satta King, sattaking, raja rani sattaking, india satta king, satta king indian, gali satta king, satta result 2020.gurgaon razz sattaking, Satta king, satta king india.com, satta king india, india satta king, satta king sadabad, sattakingindia, all india satta king, all india satta result, sattaking, satta king leak , raja rani satta king, satta king india com, indian satta king, Satta king indian, Satta King, satta king of india, satta india.com, ranisatta king, sadabad satta king, satta king all india, all india satta king result, sadabad satta,satta.com india, india satta.com, satta rani king, india satta, satta king rani, raja rani satta result, india all satta result, india gate satta king, all india satta, all india satta results,satta king india result.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nursing singlets are really comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing post, thanks for shearing this information.

    ReplyDelete